Monday, May 14, 2007

Big Plans

I just came across this amusing entry from an old, now-defunct blog of mine on LiveJournal.

The last line pretty much says it all. I must have been really frustrated with my job at the time:

Someone should pay me to sit at home and do great things.
(If you don't get the joke: I now work for Sun Microsystems, at home, on JRuby...so if JRuby's ever considered a "great thing", the prophecy will be fulfilled.)

And yes, I've seen the Microsoft news. I'd hate to be an OSS developer or apologist at Microsoft today. If Sun did something like this I'd resign.

5 comments:

Markus Jais said...

I am sure Sun would not come up with something like that. Sun learned that they can only survive with open source.
Microsoft still tries to fight an enemy they do not know how to fight (because they can not just buy them).

Chinmoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chinmoy said...

Sorry about the extra commment, there was a serious typo in the original one.

Yeah, Sun is unlikely to battle with OSS, given their support of open source through GPL JDK, OpenOffice, etc.

Anonymous said...

Sun learned that they can only survive with open source.

The last gasps of a dying company.

Microsoft still tries to fight an enemy they do not know how to fight (because they can not just buy them).

Open source fights an enemy that doesn't exist.

If I worked for Sun, I would have quit the minute they touted the approval of Richard Stallman. If I was a stockholder, I would have sold all Sun shares immediately.

Anonymous said...

What Microsoft move threatens is not only Open source project, but our freedom to choose. It's the reason why I personally have mixed feelings toward projects like Mono (considering the pact between Novell and Microsoft, and the fact that .NET has in fact some strong ties to the Microsoft OS). On the contrary, having two major open source implementations of .NET (JRuby being now executed on top of Java, which has become open sourced too), is a very good thing.